If you can not afford to buy all the food supplements you want to increase muscle mass, a list of supplements used by almost all bodybuilders can help you make smarter choices.
If you are starting to read this article, the only thing you probably need is to build a little more muscle, look and feel better. Some people dream of building 3-5 kilos and some 10-15 kilos of muscle. No doubt you can build muscles by eating properly and working with weights; but most of the time it is necessary to use some supplements to reveal the true growth potential of your muscles.We have made a list of 10 supplements that is arranged according to priority order; starting with the ones that are absolutely necessary to the ones that are not necessary but very effective. A very useful list for those who can not decide which supplement to invest in has a limited budget. If you can get all of them, do not stop; because we know that the more muscles we build the better!
Why is it listed: Whey protein is listed in number 1 because it is the food supplement that helps boost protein synthesis to the most important mass. Whey protein is a milk protein with high BCAA. The whey protein is justifiably the most popular nutritional supplement, as it is quickly digested to start muscle repair and support muscle mass recovery. The whey protein also contains peptides (small proteins) that accelerate blood flow to the muscles. That is why we recommend that whey protein be consumed immediately after training.
How to maximize the effect of whey protein powder:
- You should consume the whey protein powder 20 grams 30 minutes before the workout and 40 grams in the first 60 minutes after the workout.
- You can get 20-40 gram whey protein immediately after you wake up to trigger muscle growth.
- We recommend that you prefer the hydrolyzed whey protein (a smaller fragment of whey protein fraction for faster digestion) or an isolated whey protein.
2-Casein Protein Powder
Why is it listed: Casein protein, a dairy protein, is located just below whey protein. Casein is behind the whey protein because it has a slow digestion time.It is an ideal pre-sleep supplement to reduce the catabolic effect caused by slow and regular mixing with blood during sleep. Casein protein is also preferred because it gives less swelling to people trying to increase muscle mass. According to recent researches, when casein protein is taken after training, it supports protein synthesis as much as whey protein. It is even suggested that the whey-casein protein mixture taken after training is more effective than the muscle growth provided by only one.
How to maximize the effect of casein protein powder:
- Choose casein protein powder that contains micellar casein (the slowest digestive casein), and consume 20-40 gr. before sleep.
- After exercise, add 10-20 gr. casein into your whey protein. Also add 20-40 gr casein into your protein shake between meals.
Why is it listed: Creatine consists of three different amino acids; arginine, glycine and methionine. Creatinine has many functions. First, it increases the rapid muscle energy needed to make repetitions. As this rapid energy increases, the number of repetitions made with a certain weight also increases, which helps you to be bigger and stronger in a longer period. Creatine also allows water to accumulate in muscle cells, increasing cell flexibility, which causes more growth in the long term. Based on recent studies, it has been determined that creatine triggers the growth of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1).
How to maximize the effects of creatinine:
- Just before the training, you can add 2-5 gr creatine into your protein shake in creatine monohydrate, creatine malate, creatine ethyl ester, or creatine alpha-ketoglutarate form.
- Then, after training, you can add 2-5 gr creatine into your protein shake again. In this process, creatine is rapidly absorbed by the muscle cells and increases IGF-1 levels, contributing to more muscle development.
- On days you do not train, you can also take 2-5 gr of creatine with your carbohydrate-containing breakfast.
4-Branched Chain Amino Acids -BCAA
Why is it listed: The branched chain amino acid is used for the amino acids named leucine, isoleucine and valine, which have vital functions for the repair and development of muscle tissue. According to research, the most important of these three is leucine, which can trigger muscle protein synthesis by itself. Nevertheless, the best way to use is to take the three together. The three also work synergistically and in harmony, helping to improve muscle development and energy levels during training. In addition, BCAAs reduce muscle burns after training, as well as cortisol, a catabolic hormone that restricts testosterone production and increases muscle wasting.
How to maximize the Effect of Amino Acid:
- During breakfast, 5-10 gr with shake prepared before and after training. You can use BCAA.
- When taking the BCAA product, make sure that 1 dose of isoleucine and 2: 1 per valine contains leucine.
- With an easier calculation, if the 5 gr. If you are taking BCAA, it should be about 2.5 g of leucine, 1.25 g of isoleucine and 1.25 g of valine.
5-Beta-Alanine / Carnosine
Why is it listed: The beta-alanine amino acid is combined with another amino acid histidine in our body to form carnosine. According to research, muscles with high carnosine levels are much more durable and resistant. Carnosine helps muscle fibers strengthen their ability to contract more strongly and delay fatigue. In some research reports, athletes receiving beta-alanine have reported increased muscle strength and durability. In a recent study, there was a greater increase in muscle mass in subjects receiving beta-alanine with creatine, while more fat was seen on the other hand.
How to Maximize the Effect of Beta-Alanine:
- Immediately before and after the exercise with your shake or with creatine 1-2 g. beta-alanine or carnosine.
- During the days when you do not train, you can use 1-2 gr.
6-Nitric Oxide Booster
Why is it listed: Nitric oxide (NO) is a molecule that helps our body perform countless functions. The reason why bodybuilders are closely involved with this molecule is that nitric oxide dilates the blood vessels so that the muscles are transported with the necessary oxygen, nutrients, anabolic hormones and water more efficiently. This not only gives you more energy during training, but also allows for more muscular enlargement and much better muscle repair after training. Nitric oxide enhancers do not provide nitric oxide alone, but easily convert arginine into nitric oxide. Again, according to a study, it was determined that muscle fatigue and fat burning occurred in subjects given arginine.
How to maximize the effect of Nitric Oxide:
Get a nitric oxide enhancer that contains an average of 2 gr. arginine.
- You may use arginine, L-arginine, arginine alpha-ketoglutarate (AAKG), arginine ethyl ester or arginine malate.
- You may also prefer nitric oxide enhancers containing citrulline, pycnog-enol, and ginseng, which enhance arginine’s nitric oxide augmentation effect.
- You can take a dose of nitric oxide enhancer before breakfast, 30-60 minutes before the workout, immediately after the workout and 30-60 minutes before bedtime.
Why is it listed: Glutamine has been a favorite supplement for bodybuilders for many years because it has important effects on muscle function and is an amino acid that is present in the human body too much. Glutamine offers numerous benefits in body building. Helps muscle growth by increasing the level of leucine in muscle fibers. It also helps to reduce muscle wasting and protects your immune system against diseases and you will not miss your workouts if you are not sick. Glutamine, taken before training, increases growth hormone levels by reducing muscle fatigue. In addition, according to recent research, glutamine may also play a role in fat burning, increasing the amount of calories and fat consumed during exercise and rest.
How to maximize the glutamine effect:
- You can get glutamine in the morning, before and after the workout with your shake and the last meal at night 5-10 gr.
Why is it listed: ZMA is a combination of zinc, magnesium aspartate and vitamin B6. Intensive bodybuilders often lack the necessary ingredients to maintain hormone levels and to provide a quality sleep that is essential during the healing period. For this reason, ZMA is a very important food supplement. Dense work can endanger the testosterone and IGF-1 levels in the body. According to a scientific study, testosterone and IGF-1 levels of athletes using ZMA for 8 weeks increased significantly. On the other side, both testosterone and IGF-1 levels decreased in subjects receiving a placebo-treated drug. Naturally, the effect of increasing testosterone and IGF-1 levels on muscle growth is undeniable.
How to maximize the effects of ZMA:
- Use the ZMA support before bed that contains 30mg zinc, 450mg magnesium and 10.5mg vitamin B6. Consume without calsium.
- ZMA taken on an empty stomach will help your ideal healing process by increasing your sleep quality with maximum absorption.
Why is it listed: In addition to being a popular food supplement to help burn fat, according to clinical research, carnitine supports muscle development with many mechanisms. For example, carnitine has a similar function to a nitric oxide enhancer by increasing blood flow to the muscles. It also increases the amount of testosterone and the T receptors in muscle cells after training, allowing more testosterone to be produced for more muscle growth. In addition, it has been found that carnitine supplements also raise IGF-1 levels. When all these benefits come together, your potential to increase muscle mass increases.
How to maximize the effects of carnitine:
- You can get carnitine for breakfast, before and after training with your shaker and at the end of the night with L-Carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine or L-carnitine-L-tartrate form.
10-High Molecular Weight Carbohydrates (Vitargo)
Why is it listed: The molecular weight description is used to describe the mass of a molecule within a substance. Thus, high molecular-weight carbs (HMCs) are composed of very large and heavy molecules. Patented YMA carbohydrates, such as Vitargo, are typically produced from barley starch. What makes these carbohydrates special is that they are absorbed into the blood while passing rapidly through the intestines. Research shows that high molecular weight carbohydrates pass 100% faster than sports drinks. This is very important after training because the carbohydrate supplement made at this stage reduces cortisol levels and prevents muscle destruction while increasing insulin levels and supporting muscle growth as well as glycogen deposits.
How to maximize the effect of Vitargo:
- Immediately after the training you will get 60-100 gr with the shake you drink. High molecular weight carbohydrates will help your muscles heal and grow, and at the same time increase the amount of insulin you will produce to help your muscle cells reach more amino acids; creatinine and carnitine.
- In other words, high molecular weight carbohydrates will not only trigger muscle growth, but will also contribute much more to the work of other supplements you receive for mass gain.